Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Dear Friend Mr. Coffee

One cannot have a love affair with coffee without a coffee maker. When I was 22 I decided that it was time for me to move out of my parents house and experience living on my own. My salary however was telling me that it wouldn't be quite practical to do that. Thankfully, a friend of mine had decided that she also wanted to experience her own sense of freedom and so together we decided to rent our own place. The very first small appliance that I made sure my new place had was a coffee maker. Leaving home and moving out on your own is a huge step and even kind of scary. Seeing dear old, familiar, Mr. Coffee sitting on the counter of my kitchen was somehow very reassuring and comforting. That pot of coffee I made in my very own place that very first night was special and at that moment I felt like I could conquer the world. Reality and bills set in pretty quickly, but dear old Mr. Coffee was with me through it all. When I got married Mr. Coffee followed me to my new home. He sat right down on his new counter and my old friend was right there when my husband and I shared our very first cups together as husband and wife. Years passed, and sadly Mr. Coffee grew old and tired and one day stopped working forever. I sighed, I was sad, and at that moment.....I got in my car and went and got a replacement as quickly as possible! Yes, I loved Mr. Coffee, but guess what? He's got lots and lots of family! Ah Mr. Coffee there will never be another quite like you though, never, never...."What? Excuse me what did you say your name was?" "Mr. Bunn was it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment